Exploring Options

PostHope
Author

R Pruim

Published

August 13, 2022

We met yesterday with our oncologist. It looks like we basically have two options: return to the chemo we have been using for the last 5 years (possibly adding in some oxaliplatin) or participating in a stage 1 clinical trial. 

We decided to find out more about clinical trial options. So some blood work was done, a scan is being scheduled, and we should have another appointment in the next week or so to see what trials might be available. Once we have that information, if there are clinical trial options, then we’ll have a decision to make about which path to take. 

One challenge for some trials is the notion of “measurable disease”. The main cancer Penny has is hard to measure in scans, and in both big surgeries, there was more there than the scans suggested. So one of the goals for the scan will be to see if there is an area where something measurable can be watched to see if things change. On the plus side, we discovered that Penny at least partially matches a relatively rare blood condition for one trial. A subsequent blood test will confirm whether she fully qualifies. 

So for the next bit we are in exploration mode, but we expect this to go pretty quickly. 

Comments

Sandra Kay Navis: Praying for healing and strength, and for the discerning process about the clinical trials.

George Monsma, Jr.: Praying for guidance from the Spirit, and peace and patience as you await further news.

Teri Warners: Those were similar to my thoughts as well. Thanks, Pam!

Robert Roskamp: Prayers for guidance from God, and the choices Blessed!! Knowing many are praying daily for you !

Pamela Plantinga: Thanks for the update. I am praying for clarity as you explore, that Penny qualifies for one of the studies, and that it turns out to be a very effective new treatment.

Patricia Boer Fischer : Prayin 🙏 4Ya's, Ur N Our Hearts, God Bless, Hugg's & Lots of Love ❤!!